Breast milk is the healthiest food for your baby. It is full of the goodness of complete nutrition, antibodies and mother’s love. Most of the mothers want to breastfeed their infant at least for the first year but are unable to do so because of inadequate milk supply.
There can be various reasons for low milk supply, such as fatigue, poor diet, stress, hormonal changes, or irregular feeding sessions especially of shorter duration. Mothers often keep searching ways to increase breast milk supply. There are simple techniques and methodologies available right in your home which can help boost the milk production:
1. Fenugreek: This commonly found ingredient in our kitchen is great in increasing breast milk supply. Fenugreek contains phytoestrogens, which stimulates the milk-producing glands.
Method: Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek in a cup of water overnight; in the morning boil it, strain the water and consume it. You will see positive results in a few weeks.
2. Fennel Seeds: Fennel seeds are another super-ingredient which help to increase your milk supply. Galactagogue in fennel seeds is the key element which boosts milk and also helps improve digestion and prevent colic pain in infants.
Method: In a cup of water, add one tablespoon fennel seeds and put on slow flame for a few minutes. Strain and drink twice a day.
3. Cinnamon: A pinch of cinnamon with honey and lukewarm water can do wonders to improve the milk supply. It has various other benefits like flavor in milk, delay in menstruation etc.
Method: Consume the concoction once daily.
4. Massage: Massage of breasts is good for all feeding mothers. It improves blood circulation and help open closed pores.
Method: Daily massage your breasts in circular motion. Also take hot water bath post the massage.
5. Pacifiers: Pacifiers are a big no for your baby if you have less milk supply. Along with satisfying the oral stimulation, they reduce hunger also. Thus, they result in loss of appetite in your baby and consequently loss of milk supply in the breasts.
Hope these techniques help you in increasing your breast milk supply. Apart from all the above-mentioned ways, you must pay keen attention to your diet, ensure that you remain stress free, have proper sleep and most importantly stay hydrated. Indulge in stress-buster activities like yoga, meditation or a walk in the park to break the monotony, breastfeed often and ensure your baby latches properly.
Already registered? Log in here
WHAT DO YOU THINK?